Sunday 24 November 2013

Story Telling

As they say, books are the best companion of a person. And believe me, they are. Try a few to check your taste and then here you go, to the endless world of words. J

I always wanted my son to catch up this interest. He can’t read sentences as of now but ya, can make out a story (once explained by us) from pictures and a couple of words. And today, story telling is one of the things he is fond of. Guys n gals, try it out. Its benefits are multi-pronged –

  • To learn the art of weaving the words…
  • to derive (and actually imbibe) a great moral in the end
  • once kids are used to story listening/telling, u can lure them to come and join leaving something unwanted behind…
  • books can be passed further to friends/sibling etc…
  • best things to exchange too with your buddies…
  • to grasp the concept from pictures till the time they catch up with words and sentences..
  • it boosts their vocabulary as well as their thinking and listening powers…

This list is simply endless…..Deeper u go, More u know….

Our favorite bedtime story is the famous Hare and tortoise fable and I tell him in the end, “So isse humne kya seekha, ki apna kaam khatam karma chahiye, aur fir sona chahiye. Aur sabko strong samajhna chahiye…

And to return the favor, my son often recites the famous monkey and crocodile fable….(where monkey offers croc jaamuns daily. One day croc & his wife gets greedy and plan to bring monkey to their place to eat his heart thinking it must be sweet. But monkey on the way tells croc that he forgot his heart on tree and saves his life)….
One day my son said… “ mai bataun, isse hume kya samajh aata hai…”
I said “Go ahead”
His moral.. “ Isse hume samajh aata hai ki hume jaldi jaldi apna kaam swimming karke khatam karma chahiya aur ped pe jaake jaamun khane chahiye..”

Though I explained him the correct moral, still I superliked his attempt and everytime I think of it, I makes me smile…J He tried and at least if not from the depth but from the actions and flow of the story, he derived the meaning …

If I lazily narrate him a story, then my son corrects me saying, “Mamma, aise thode na… Once upon a time se shuru karma hota hai…”… and then I have to re-recite everything…no choice…

You can make the kids learn or unlearn so many things through story telling and preferably the picture books ones. Books are one of the best things you can gift your child, one of the best hobbies you can try inculcating in them and see if will do wonders.


A seed well sown in time reap its own rewards…






Originally posted by Parentous

No comments:

Post a Comment

वो समंदर का किनारा…

वो   समंदर   का   किनारा ,  वो   लहरों   से   बातें ,  दूसरे   छोर   पे   धरा   से   मिलन   को   वो   वादे , वो   हर   आती   लहर   को   देख ...